Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

30 days of truth ~Day 17 - A book you've read that changed your views on something.

Well, in all honesty, lots of books. To say that one book altered my entire thought process would be difficult. Well, that's not entirely true. There is one book that absolutely pissed me off. It's called the Velvet Promise by Jude Deveraux.

It's actually one of my favorites because it evoked such a strong reaction from me. It's the story of a young woman being forced to marry some strapping guy. You know the typical romance novel smut. It's their wedding and they are just ... pretty happy to be together. Of course drama happens and that wedding night he just takes her, you know, doing his duty, what's best for everyone deal. That. ... that dis-empowerment of a woman, infuriates me. And THEN he thinks it's just going to be all better by saying ... 'oh, I didn't realize ... I'm sorry'. Of course, she's all resistant and then just melts ... pfffff. Whatever, but regardless she turns the tables on him and is super smart. I just like her.

How did this change my thought you ask? Well ... this was probably the beginning of the beginning. It clicked something inside about how I'm special. I deserve respect. It initiated the very early beginnings of my need to birth quietly, and privately. I read this in my late teen years and I was already hearing the whispers of what was happening in hospitals (especially my local one). It made me uncomfortable and I remember asking questions here and there ... then when I did my research and now it makes sense.

No comments: