Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2019

We are family

Oh man.

We have three birthdays just this week (end) One on the 2nd (today! Happy Birthday William), one on the 4th and one on the 5th. Then it's mine on the 9th. I got my present already, it's currently holding temp at 37.5 and has one egg in it. An egg I wanted to use as a tester.

It's from a black chicken.

I went to the barn today to check my hens and discovered the cats sleeping in the nesting boxes, curled on top of the pigs and squished between some hens. Whatever. Stop eating the eggs cats!!!!

And you dog!

GAH. I only got 4 eggs today.

In chick news, they are getting super tame. Whenever we go inside, they all swivel their little raptor heads towards us and when I sit down and talk to them they all come over and snuggle or peck my boots. Today I brought in my little black cochin hen, she's getting picked on. She got kicked out of the big coop for some reason I can't fathom. She's the SWEETEST thing!

Unfortunately, even the chicks picked on her. I do not approve and spent a lot of time scolding them.

She went back outside but then I regretted it. Tomorrow she will sleep in the chick barn, at the very least she can  hide in the higher nest box. I have the upper level heater on right now so she could still be warm and maybe she'll lay her eggs in there. I might catch the white one two and both bantams can live in there for a while.

Also. None of my broody hens are broody. I think I mentioned this before but I'm not that happy with them. ;)

Raising chicks is SO MUCH easier with a hen to do the hard work.

Also. Nikki's chick will have to be culled. I feel terrible for her but he/she only eats and drinks when we move him/her to the water/food. It can't get around on it's own and it seems to be in more pain. We got it snuggled into a safe, warm spot for the night but tomorrow will be decision day.

ALSO, I will be putting my eggs in this weekend. I had a great plan to put them in on a sunday because then they could hatch all weekend while I was home and it would be awesome but in three weeks … we have Avery's confirmation! OH noes! LOL so now I have to set these guys Saturday morning and hope they only hatch Friday late afternoon and all day Saturday or sunday morning.

#Ilikespreadsheets.

Then I can clean my incubator and prep for one more hatch. There will likely be some chicks for sale because I don't need ALL of these. So if you are interested let me know. I will also be selling my older hens too, but only AFTER I get their leg mites under control. Nobody wants that problem. 

No comments: