Pages

Monday, April 29, 2019

More Hard lessons

The hard lessons keep coming.

Today I received the tiny zip ties I had ordered. Super tiny, slightly unexpectedly tiny but perfect for my chicks.

Wait. Why do I bother banding them? Because the kids each have a 'chicken' and sometimes they look alike. Also, I band all my broodies so they get to live and hopefully brood another year.

Sidenote : So far my broodies from last year are not broody this year and I'm highly disappointed.

Anyways. As we were switching the elastics off (they were climbing up on the chicks and hurting their legs) and adding the zip ties, Nikki pulled far too hard on her chick's little elastic. I stopped her right away, cue the crying because I used a loud voice, and then I reminded her to be careful and we moved on. A little bit later, I noticed a chick not moving around much and it was Nikki's chick. After careful examination, (I picked it up and tried to make it walk), I realized it was injured.

On the upside, it wasn't peeping in pain or showing any pain when I moved it's leg so maybe it's just sore. I really hope so because Nikki is devastated that she hurt her little chick.

#Ionlywarnedher30timestobegentle, #shefeelsawful

We will check on it tomorrow. All the other chicks protested the new zip ties loudly, but once they were one they were all 'cuddle me!!!!!!!'. Pffffffffff.

In other news, I got a text today asking if I could meet to pick up my next batch of eggs tomorrow instead of Thursday. I will be at work but Corey will go in. I still don't intend to start incubating these ones until Sunday because I want to be home to watch them hatch and being at work while they hatch is just not going to work. There will be 32 eggs going into the incubator.

#coughcoughImsick.

So, today I got my incubator all set up for a test run again. I do this after I clean it and it has ample time to dry out and OH NO, my fan sounds funky! So it is currently running to see if the fan just sounds like that and I didn't realize how loud it was (because it sounds fine from where I'm sitting?) or if something is wrong with it, which is very possible that water got somewhere it shouldn't. If it isn't going to work I will be supremely disappointed. I'm not sure what I'll do with all those eggs.


#notgonnalie.  

No comments: