Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Socially awkward (or Making friends)

I seriously suck at making friends. This is an actual fact. I'm also not very good at witty comebacks. Or comebacks period.

In the past few months, as I've been meeting new people and learning their opinions about everything from birth, to raising babies, to raising toddlers, to discipline, to daycare, I've discovered something a bit alarming. I'm very socially awkward. To be fair, it probably started a long time ago, but especially after being denied into a *strollercize* group because the leader found out I'd had 1 homebirth and was planning another. (A whole other blog post I'm sure)

A good example would be today, I accompanied Corey to his massage and when he was done we were chatting with his massage therapist and daycare came up. Now ... I have NOTHING against daycare and people who use daycare. Like seriously! I know a few daycare workers and love them, have visited a couple of them, they are nice. I might even work in one, who knows! But I'm pretty sure that's not what she thought.

Corinne = socially awkward

I'm NO good at having a normal discussion. Seriously, no good. The point I was trying to make was I couldn't be expected to 'support' a certain daycare because it was WAY out of my way! IT would add nearly 40 minutes to my morning ... or more. So ... no ... I would not send my kids there. I also mentioned I wouldn't be sending my kid to playschool there because I don't work in that area and how am I going to pick her up at noon? I'm pretty sure it came off more like ... no that's a stupid idea why would I send my kids to that lame school. How lame. Only lame people send their kids to preschool and daycare. Lame, lame, lame.

Corinne = socially awkward

I stopped talking after that because I was pretty sure I was digging my own lame-ass grave.

I'm also not very good at having a normal discussion with people who have differing opinions than mine. Why? I always feel judged. Why? Because I'm socially awkward. And possibly because I'm a hermit who is socially awkward. OR because I like to think it's all about me. Because ... fact : Everyone talks about Corinne ~ probably not. They are usually probably pretty happy for me to get my socially awkward ass out of there so they can have adult conversations. 

I suppose the only way to get better is to keep practicing. So far, outside my own family that is, I've found 2 people who can forgive my social inadequacies and have a normal (if you call our conversations normal) discussion with me.

Now that I've shoved my WHOLE foot in my mouth with what COULD Have been my 3rd friend and would have been a great addition because our kids will eventually be in that lame-ass school together (they are both born in the same years) and I'm pretty sure she would have liked my other 2 friends (even though one lives stupid far away and even though she probably has tons of her own friends) what am I to do?

Interesting fact : As soon as anyone shows an interest in being my friend, perhaps through a mutual idea we have or experience, I get way too excited and overflow them with messages.

Corinne = Socially awkward

PS That school isn't lame. ;)

PPS I totally had to blog this because Corey's massage therapist made a funny little joke of me blogging about today and I SO DID! Corey's massage therapist = funny.

Corinne = shoving her foot further into mouth because Corey's therapist will now never invite me to her house again because I will probably blog about it and it will be all over the Internet and every stranger in the universe will know. Because fact : everyone talks about Corine. There's just no way around that.

4 comments:

Jyl said...

I'm right there with you on the socially awkward part - there are many, many times I walk away after having a conversation with someone and berate myself for the stupid/weird things I think I said. It always amazes me if/when that person ever talks with me again :)

Corinne Linfitt said...

Sometimes I just get tired of agreeing with everyone, especially if they are constantly criticizing my personal choices, just to keep the peace.

But generally it's just me saying a lame comment and then realizing that back tracking would make me sound even more wishy washy. It's a cruel world. HAha

Dorothy said...

I know that I have felt the same way that you have at some point or another.

I have been told that I have often judged others for having an opinion that is different than mine, but it is me who feels like they judged ME BECAUSE my opinion is different from theirs!

I have made a startling discovery lately though (at least in the past year and a half) that I am who I am.....and other people are who they are, and there is nothing that we can do about it. I just know that I try my hardest to be the best person/friend/wife/mother that I can be and I ask God everyday to help me out with that. That is all I can do. That, and trust that other people are trying to do the same for themselves and their family.

Dorothy = trying to figure it out.

Corinne Linfitt said...

I'm glad Dorothy. I know I've always been able to turn to you for tips on various situations and I'm really grateful. Even though you have differing opinions or just made different choices that myself, I think we get along just fine :)