Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

30 days of truths ~ Day 02 - Something you love about yourself

Well, there are a great number of things I love about myself. There's my sense of humor for one. IT saves a lot of situations and breaks a lot of ice (strange how I'm still so socially inadequate) But better than that (according to moi) is my ability to turn a piece of paper full of ideas into an essay, letter or story. I love editing. There is NO way around that. I love to take something and turn it into something else. Love it. Love LOVE it. I love it more than making spreadsheets of random things (book lists, bill payments, movie rentals, friends ....)

Recently, my sister asked me to look over a letter of recommendation (or something of the sort) for her. After I finished choking on my laughter and asking her if it was a letter of recommendation or damnation ... I began to edit. I never added anything untrue. But there is certainly a way to say that someone is a bossy Bessie without saying they are a bossy Bessie. You know what I mean?

Also, I was asked to go over a preview copy of a book. Uh. Yes, I was more than excited. I am loving every second, even though I'm just looking for spelling mistakes, missing words, I'm still enjoying myself.

I correct everyone's statuses (mentally) and if I'm being a nerdy nerd, I correct it right on facebook. I seriously enjoy it. My mom and siblings often ask me to go over their resumés and letters to see how they sound. I must admit that my mom, has an impressive CV and there seriously isn't much I can add to it to make her more impressive 0_0. I do enjoy correcting her letters on the odd occasion I get to (which is often because mom likes to have at least 10 jobs at the same time).

Summary : I love editing and I love that I'm good at it. Is that something that counts? I think so. But if it doesn't ... then I choose my sense of humor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should totally become an editor, or even write your own book. I realize that around here jobs like this are few and far between, but if you wrote a book I would totally buy it. This is Joanne, by the way. Then you don't have to go back to work, you could stay home with the kids and make millions off your bestseller. There another problem solved by moi. LOL.

Corinne Linfitt said...

Joanne, you are such an amazing problem solver. I mean ... the cow milk I thought was the best but you WAY outdid yourself this time! ;) I will ponder your solution ... they say you should write about what you are good at and what you love. I'm pretty sure I'd still need a day job LOL