Pages

Saturday, June 29, 2019

Hatch #3 and something's eating chickens

First things first, something is eating my chickens. UGH this makes me so angry! It happens. I get it but it doesn't mean I have to be okay with it. Especially since it took two of our favorites.

Don't foxes eat pigs? No? Hm. The only way in the coop is through the pig door (for a fox anyways) and we are surprised either the pigs didn't put the run on the fox or that there aren't more feathers all over the place with having to haul a dead chicken OVER a fence - twice (we have a divider in the barn). Of course, it's also stealing during the day so that might be when they are mostly getting taken.

I put Missy in the chicken coop overnight and just let her out at 530 am. I kind of regret letting the chickens out already because at least with Missy in the coop with them they were 'safely' contained but now they are free to be eaten and she doesn't really stick with them. I think our next dog will have to be a livestock dog that we train to be with the chickens.

#IwonderifIcantrainalabtodothat?

In other news, 13 chicks have hatched in my 3rd (and final) hatch before summer holidays. There are still more to come and today is the official hatch day (well started last night technically) I adjusted the temperature on my incubator and it seems to be making a huge difference. I haven't had any chicks getting stuck or incomplete or issues - so far anyways.

I have had 4 or 5 of Polly's bantam eggs hatch. #whatamIgonnadowiththem?
I have a lavender Orpington that hatched that I'm pretty stoked about and the other egg is pipped. Booyah.
The rest seem to be Barred rock x (like Shadow) and brownish or yellowish and one really dark brown one that came from a green egg.
Oh. And an Australorpe so far.

In Broody news, out of the 8 or 9 eggs they started off with, 3 hatched and there's another one under a 3rd broody in the Big Coop. I'll move her over today because it will hatch today - probably. I'll give her some incubator babies too. The two broodies also adopted my 2 week old Silkies and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. #Surewhynot?

Once more time - pissed about losing some chickens to a fox/cat/skunk/whatever.

I don't like it one bit. Here's some pictures :

Co-parenting. There's 7 chicks in between the 2 of them. Might be more.
Not sure who might sneak in there. 

These are 2 of my cochins. They are looking really good.

Amelie's Fireheart - Gold Laced Crested Polish at 5 weeks old. So pretty

No comments: