Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Auction time! Also we bought a rabbit.

I wasn't expecting to actually buy anything at the auction. Maybe some eggs, maybe not.

We got the kids all ready to go, crammed into the van and drove out to the site. After getting there and walking in, we already spotted 3 puppies and 2 Asian geese.

Of course, Nolan wanted a puppy.

Of course, Corey wanted Asian Geese. (eyeroll)

After getting into the arena, we swarmed the tables. We oohed and awed over the animals.

Notably - the one bunny in the sale.
Some adorable baby chicks.
Some turkeys.
And a rooster I wanted to add to my flock as well as a few hens.

We barely bought the bunny. Corey was busy talking and not paying attention. Amelie is thrilled. We've discovered it's a male. He's very, very tame. He has some issues with a bald spot on his bum we aren't sure about but I'll get that looked after shortly. We also underestimated how much care a bunny needs BUT because Buttercup is pretty tame, I'm hoping it will be easy.

#letshope, #hessocute

I did want to purchase some new hens but they went above my price limit. I was disappointed but did come home with some bantam hatching eggs from the same lady I bought my current incubating eggs. She came to chat with me too! I managed to fit these eggs in my incubator, after quickly pulling out the eggs I'd put in from my own flock today. That way they weren't developed yet so I didn't have to feel guilty - and I put the smaller ones along the edge LOL. As time goes on, I'm sure I'll be removing some anyways so they should get onto the turner at some point. I'll have to manually turn those ones in the mean time.

We also came home with two riding helmets and a toy for Missy. Not a bad day after all.

In other news, I discovered that my bantam white cochin lays a normal sized brown egg. Well … what the heck?! That means, she may have been laying this WHOLE TIME and I didn't even know it. Pffffff. I put her egg in the incubator too to see what comes of it.

I will post a chick update tomorrow. They are getting lots of feathers now!


No comments: